Stuart Chambers is a partner with McLennan Ross practicing in the areas of energy, environmental & regulatory and commercial litigation, with a particular focus on environmental and occupational health and safety regulatory law, health law, class actions, and professional liability law.
Stuart has extensive experience advising oilsands, and other industrial, operators in relation to environmental and health and safety law issues, in particular in preparation for and responding to regulatory investigations and prosecutions.
Stuart has a wide range of experience in commercial litigation matters, including: contractual disputes, recovery of funds from fraudulent investment and development schemes, shareholders' disputes, debt collection, construction disputes and judgment enforcement.
While Stuart has extensive experience in dealing with complex multiparty litigation, he is equally comfortable in finding efficient solutions for smaller disputes. Stuart is also experienced in utilizing alternative dispute resolution methods including mediation and arbitration to resolve issues. In addition, Stuart has significant experience acting as both plaintiff and defendant counsel in class actions in Alberta and in British Columbia.
Stuart advises various organizations on contract interpretation, drafting and policy issues and advises government and administrative tribunals on health-related policy and adjudicative matters involving patient issues and professional disciplinary matters. Stuart regularly handles litigation and disciplinary matters involving legal, health and accounting professionals.
- LL.B. (Distinction), University of Alberta
- B.A. (Honours), University of Alberta
Professional Associations and Affiliations
- Secretary, Canadian Bar Association, National Environment, Energy and Regulatory Law Section
- Chair, Environmental Section (Canada), Meritas
- Former Chair, Canadian Bar Association (Alberta Branch), Environmental Law Section – Northern
Community and Volunteer Activities
- Former Director, Environmental Services Association of Alberta
- Member, Edmonton Chamber of Commerce Energy & Environment Committee
- Committee Member and Ambassador, Alberta Emerald Foundation for Environmental Excellence
- Former Director, Edmonton Humane Society