David is a nationally recognized practitioner of Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) in Canada. An experienced trial lawyer, he defends companies and individuals facing OHS, environmental and other regulatory charges. He is a trusted advisor to government and industry, a busy writer, lecturer and presenter on OHS issues throughout Canada. He covers a wide geographic area being a member of three law societies: Alberta, British Columbia and the Northwest Territories.
David spent a good portion of his career as a criminal defence lawyer and Crown Prosecutor. It is where he learned his skills as a trial lawyer. He headed a pilot project with Alberta Justice which still serves as the model for OHS prosecutions in Alberta. In that capacity, David worked closely with government OHS investigators, developing formal training for them on how to conduct proper investigations. He was Alberta's first designated OHS Crown Prosecutor. In 2004, David left government and became a partner with McLennan Ross LLP where he practices as a regulatory defence lawyer.
David has an long list of credentials and publications. He is the Chair of the McLennan Ross OHS Practice Group, editor of the firm's electronic HSE Newsletter, Founding Chair of the National OHS Subcommittee for the Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers (CACE), member of the CBA Criminal Law Reform Committee, member of the Advisory Committee for the OHS Certificate Program at the University of Alberta, sessional instructor at the University of Alberta for the OHS Diploma Program, director of the Alberta Safety Council, director of Job Skills Safety Society, a director of CACE, and a member of the board of advisors for Safety Compliance Insider.
David has been involved as counsel, either as a prosecutor or defence lawyer, on most of the leading OHS cases in Alberta. He is known for his knowledge, insight and advice when responding to workplace incidents or defending against charges. He has been named in Best Lawyers for several years and is AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
- LL.B., University of Alberta
- B.A. Philosophy (Honours), University of Alberta
Awards and Recognition
- Leading practitioner, Occupational Health & Safety, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
- Recognized as a leading business lawyer in Labour & Employment law, Best Lawyers Canada
- AV Distinguished peer review rating with Martindale-Hubbell
Professional Associations and Affiliations
- Advisory Board Member, International Competency Assessment Board
- Director, Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers
- Member, CBA Criminal Law Reform Committee
- Founding Chair, Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers Occupational Health and Safety Subcommittee
- Director, Alberta Safety Council
- Director, Job Skills Safety Society
- Board Advisor, Safety Compliance Insider
- Member, University of Alberta Faculty of Extension Advisory Committee, OHS Law and Policy Program