Hugh is recognized by his peers as a leading practitioner in Western Canada in advising and representing employers in a variety of businesses and all three levels of the public sector in respect to labour relations strategy, labour arbitrations, Labour Relations Board applications, wrongful dismissal lawsuits, human rights, privacy, employment standards, workers’ compensation, and various other labour and employment matters.
He advises employers regarding the drafting, implementation, and application of executive contracts, employment agreements, non-competition, non-solicitation, and confidentiality provisions, change of control agreements, drug and alcohol testing programs, harassment policies, and general employment policies and practices.
Employers from many different industries engage Hugh to advise and represent them in a variety of employment related matters before the relevant tribunals, including all levels of the Courts up to the Supreme Court of Canada, and the various administrative tribunals that adjudicate employment related matters including those dealing with human rights, occupational health and safety, workers’ compensation and employment standards matters.
Based in Edmonton, Hugh conducts cases across Alberta, Saskatchewan and the Northern Territories, as well as national cases on behalf of federal employers.
- LL. M. (with Distinction), Dalhousie University
- LL.B., University of Saskatchewan
- B.A., University of Saskatchewan
Awards and Recognition
- Leading practitioner - Employment Law, Labour Relations Law, Workplace Human Rights and Workers' Compensation Law, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
- AV Preeminent peer review rating (highest possible rating), Martindale-Hubbell
- Leader in the field - Employment & Labour Law, Chambers Global 2013
- Recognized in the area of Labour and Employment Law, Best Lawyers Canada
Professional Associations and Affiliations
- Former Chair, Labour Section of the Canadian Bar Association (Alberta), Edmonton Branch
- Former Chair, Federal/Provincial Labour Relations Committee of the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce
Community and Volunteer Activities
- Former Director, Canadian Associaion of Counsel to Employers
- Former Chair, Board of Tempo School, one of Alberta's most respected private schools
- Former Board Chair, Edmonton Opera Association
- Founding Board Member and Vice-President, Edmonton Recital Society and the Edmonton Gentlemen’s Dinner Club