Teresa is recognized as a leading practitioner in Alberta in advising and representing school boards and independent schools on a wide variety of labour and education matters in respect to labour arbitrations, Board of Reference hearings, collective bargaining, wrongful dismissals, human rights, privacy, employment standards, sexual harassment, constitutional law, student-related issues, school closures, policy review, internal investigations and school board governance/school trustee matters.
She also advises management-side labour and employment law from many different industries in Alberta, Quebec and Nunavut on the labour and employment aspects of day-to-day issues. Her work includes labour and employment litigation, arbitrations, human rights, collective bargaining, draft of employment contracts, non-competition and confidentiality agreements, harassment policies and general employment polices and practices.
Teresa has appeared before every level of Court of in Alberta, the Supreme Court of Canada, Alberta Labour Relations Board, Canada Industrial Relations Board, various Human Rights Tribunals, Arbitration Boards and other administrative tribunals, including hearings before school boards of trustees.
In 1989 Teresa completed her law degree at Université Laval, which she did in French. Teresa articled to the Quebec Court of Appeal in Quebec City.
For 11 years Teresa taught a law course in French to University of Alberta Business students at the Campus St. Jean at the University of Alberta.
In 2004 Teresa founded the Education Law Section of the Northern Section of the Canadian Bar Association.
Teresa publishes the monthly national education law newsletter, Vis-à-Vis, issued by the Alberta School Boards Association.
- LL.B., Université Laval
- Teacher’s Diploma, l’Université du Québec a Chicoutimi
- Certificate in French Civilization and Culture, Sorbonne University
- B.A. French Literature, University of Alberta
Awards and Recognition
- 2013 Friends of College of Alberta School Superintendents Lifetime Award
- Recognized in the area of Education Law, Best Lawyers Canada
Professional Associations and Affiliations
- Founder, Canadian Bar Association Education Law Section
- Advisory Committee, Faculté St Jean, University of Alberta
- Director, Friars’ Board
- Former President, St. Thomas More Lawyers’ Guild
Community and Volunteer Activities
- Co-founder/Organizer, Annual Ab Rep Fundraiser Challenge, Strong Kids Campaign
- Board Member, Edmonton Friars
- Co-Provincial for the 2012 Edmonton Friars’ Ball
- Chair of several organizing committees for various gala dinners
- Past Board Member - Advisory Committee, Dean Claudette Tardif, Faculté St Jean, University of Alberta
- Past Board Member, Senate of Neuman Theological College
- Past President, French Speaking Lawyers Association of Alberta
- Past President, St. Thomas More Guild of Northern Alberta