Education shapes our future. The Education Law Group at McLennan Ross protects educational organizations and institutions so they can stay focused on the business of learning. Our responsive and highly skilled team has the experience to navigate any challenge. It’s why our clients have trusted us for decades to guide them with practical advice and straightforward communication. We don’t just know education law, we co-founded the Education Law section for the Alberta Northern section of the Canadian Bar Association.
As a leader in education law, we advise and represent school boards and independent schools on a wide variety of labour and education matters, including labour arbitrations, Board of Reference hearings, collective bargaining, wrongful dismissals, human rights, privacy, employment standards, sexual harassment, constitutional law, student-related issues, school closures, policy review, internal investigations, and school board governance/school trustee matters.
We’re a one-stop-shop.
We are a full-service firm with vast experience in every area of law. Our Education Law group can call upon any lawyer in the firm for specialized guidance in labour and employment, human rights, privacy, constitutional law, grievance and arbitration, board governance, corporate commercial issues, litigation, construction, real estate, occupational health and safety, and environmental law.
We stay up-to-date and current in all areas of law affecting the education system. Our team writes and presents extensively across the province and the country, as well as provides educational opportunities to our clients through email alerts and regular webinars and seminars on topical issues.
We provide full services in English and French.
When our clients need us, we are there.
We’re here to help 24/7. Clients can expect hands-on and responsive service from top-tier education law experts, as well as some of the best support staff in the business. Every single person in our firm is focused and prepared to do what it takes to provide the exceptional service our clients deserve, while our strategic use of paralegals, litigation support, e-discovery, and document imaging technology allow us to be efficient and cost-sensitive.
Our clients do an important job and deserve personal and thoughtful service. We listen, respond, and find solutions so our clients can focus on what matters most.
Contact us today. We’re always here to help.
Our clients include:
- Association of School Business Officials of Alberta
- Charter and independent schools
- College of Alberta School Superintendents
- General Counsel for school jurisdictions
- Private and Independent Schools in Alberta
- Province of Alberta (Education and Infrastructure)
- Regional authorities, including Francophone regional authorities
- School board chairs
- School boards within Alberta
- Superintendents of schools and secretary treasurers on behalf of school boards
We assist with:
- Appeals to the Alberta Court of Appeal
- Board governance, including audits
- Board of Reference hearings
- Charter issues related to school boards, teachers, students, and parents
- Collective bargaining
- Constitutional law, including the 1901 School Ordinance and the 1905 Alberta Act
- Fatality inquiries
- Grievance arbitrations
- Judicial reviews
- Occupational health and safety matters
- School board hearings, including teacher terminations, teacher transfers, teacher suspensions, parent hearings, and school closures
- Student hearings and appeals
- Student issues
- Teacher disciplinary hearings