Municipal & Governmental Services
Municipalities and the services they provide are the life-blood of the provinces where we live and work. For decades, McLennan Ross has been a trusted advisor to communities throughout Alberta, the Northwest Territories, and Nunavut. We are proud to continue this tradition and help municipal districts, towns, cities, hamlets, and villages solve the challenges they face every day.
Helping municipalities thrive.
Our municipal clients count on us for specialized experience. We do not take a generalist approach when it comes to municipal law and government services. Our team of top-tier lawyers offer practical advice and efficient solutions in the specific areas needed by all municipalities such as labour and employment, administrative law, construction, and environmental law.
We are the leading labour and employment law firm in Western Canada and have provided advice in that area to municipalities of all sizes for decades.
We have specialized proficiency in administrative law from both appearing before and being members of a variety of Boards, Panels, and Tribunals, including the:
- Municipal Review Board
- Alberta Planning Board
- Assessment Appeal Board
- Land Compensation Board
- Development Appeal Board
- Municipal Government Board
Our Environmental Group assists with matters including development of landfill sites, lakeshore development, and nuisance bylaws for municipalities. Working with our municipal lawyers, the Environmental Law Group represented a municipality on one of the most significant contaminated land issues in Alberta
We’re always there when you need us.
McLennan Ross is here to help with whatever our clients need 24/7. In addition to our tight-knit and responsive team of lawyers, we have some of the best support staff in the business. Our strategic use of paralegals, litigation support, e-discovery, and document imaging technology allow us to be efficient and cost-effective.
Every single person in the McLennan Ross family has the same goal - to do what it takes to provide the exceptional and responsive service our clients deserve.
Contact us today. We’re always here to help.
Our experience at a glance:
- Administrative matters
- Assessment and assessment appeals
- Board governance
- Interpreting & enforcement issues
- Corporate commercial matters
- Commercial litigation
- Conflicts of interest
- Constitutional law
- Development of landfill sites
- Lakeshore development
- Nuisance bylaws
- Fiduciary duty
- Financing infrastructure
- Capital projects
- Indigenous law
- Judicial review proceedings
- Labour relations
- Collective agreement negotiations
- Grievance arbitration
- Workers’ compensation issues
- Human rights issues
- Occupational health and safety
- Land use planning & development
- Project development
- Assessment & assessment appeals
- Contract disputes
- Stop orders
- Counsel for municipal boards
- Drafting & enforcing development bylaws
- Defended claims of bias
- Land use permits
- Municipal legislation and jurisdiction
- Real Estate
- Transactions & agreements
- Tendering & procurement processes
- Reviewing & negotiating construction contracts
- Road closures
- Collection of property tax
- Training municipal councils and staff on statutory duties