Tom is recognized as a leading practitioner in western Canada in advising and representing union and non-union employers in respect to labour arbitrations, Labour Relations Board applications, wrongful dismissal, human rights, privacy, employment standards, workers’ compensation, and various other labour and employment matters.
He advises employers regarding the drafting, implementation, and application of executive contracts, employment agreements, non-competition and confidentiality provisions, change of control agreements, drug and alcohol testing programs, harassment policies, and general employment policies and practices.
Tom also advises employers regarding corporate structure from a labour relations perspective, particularly in respect to major industrial construction and leads employers in respect to collective bargaining.
Employers from many different industries engage Tom to advise and represent them in a variety of matters and before various tribunals and courts, including: Court of Appeal of Alberta, Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta, Federal Court of Canada, Saskatchewan Court of Queen’s Bench, Provincial Court of Alberta, Saskatchewan Labour Relations Board, Canada Human Rights Commission, Employment Standards, Workers’ Compensation Board, Arbitration Boards and many other administrative tribunals.
Based in Calgary, Tom conducts cases across Alberta and Saskatchewan.
- LL.B., University of Alberta
- B.A. Business Administration (Honours), Ivey School of Business - University of Western Ontario
Awards and Recognition
- Leading practitioner - Labour & Employment (Management), Workplace Human Rights, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
- Recognized as a leading lawyer in the area of Employment Law, 2012 Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada
- Recognized in the area of Labour and Employment Law, Best Lawyers in Canada
- Recognized as a leading business lawyer under Management Labour and Employment by Who's Who Legal
- Finalist, Top 40 under 40, 2006
Professional Associations and Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Human Resources Association of Calgary
- Member, Canadian Industrial Relations Association
- Senator, Junior Chamber International